Friday, 20 December 2013

THE ORANGE COUNTY THREE

Attempting to marry the sophistication of Playboy and Esquire to the countercultural appeal of the underground press, Cheetah only managed eight issues (October 1967 to May 1968). It was mocked by the cognoscenti at the time for striving too hard to be hip (worst of all 60s crimes!), but it stands up well. This largely owes to its music articles, such as Jules Siegel’s fabled ‘Goodbye Surfing, Hello God’ interview with Brian Wilson (October 1967) and an interview with Curt Boettcher about the occult (April 1968). In addition, its record reviews by Peter Winkler (including what seems to be the only contemporary assessment of Safe As Milk, which he loved) are among the most perceptive of the period.

The January 1968 issue included a triple portrait by Tom Nolan of the so-called 'Orange County Three' - Jackson Browne, Tim Buckley and Steve Noonan - who were considered to have equal promise at the vanguard of the emerging confessional singer-songwriter movement. Today, of course, they are respectively a star, a cult hero and a footnote. The article is often referred to, but hasn't been available online before, so here goes.

7 comments:

  1. The magazine got its name from a successful chain of clubs ala Whiskey A Go Go, and just as the magazine was ascending the clubs began to fail (like all clubs did as the size of venues shifted toward larger spaces). The closing of the clubs brought about the unfortunate closing of the promising magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, the association with the clubs was part of its plan, but the reason it folded was simply because not enough people were reading it or advertising in it (as Rolling Stone gleefully announced at the time). The Cheetah Club finally closed in October 1968, I believe. Incidentally, Hullabaloo magazine had a similar link-up with the clubs of that name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve Noonan is a great songwriter.....period....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this article. I remember it well, as an example of the “new journalism”. I read Cheetah magazine as a 15 year old, and it had a big influence on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for posting this article. i was telling my husband about this piece,and googled it! I loved that magazine. It had a big influence on the 15 year old me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crypto Scam Recovery Company  - Consult Alpha Recovery Experts

    ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS provides successful crypto recovery services to investors who have lost money to crypto scams. I was recently duped by One fake broker I met on Instagram who introduced me to cryptocurrency investment. I liked the idea and opted to invest through the site. Initially, I invested a small portion of my portfolio which was profitable but then I kept on investing more money, which I continued to do until the website vanished. I was unable to withdraw any money prior to the incident, but I’m excited I was able to get my funds back with the help of ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS crypto recovery team.

    You can reach them via email at (Info@ alpharecoveryexpert. co m)
    Learn More; alpharecoveryexpert. co m
    WhatsApp; +44(745)742-4681

    ReplyDelete